1345. There shall be a district building committee elected by the district conference (1180:35a; cf. 1175:2), unless the district conference shall delegate the election to the district board of administration. The committee shall consist of the district superintendent or the district superintendent’s appointed designee as chair, and such members as shall be elected. The elected members should be persons who are capable and experienced in property transactions and the construction of buildings. General regulations governing the membership of this committee are given in 1275-1292. The duties of the district building committee are:
- (1) To investigate the proposed sites for local church buildings, parsonages or other units, in order to ascertain that such properties are properly located in the community to be served and adequate in size for future expansion and parking facilities; to consider also the plans and requirements of any planning commission, if such an agency exists; to consider also the financial plans and liabilities to be incurred; to act upon the proposal of the local church and to report its findings and recommendations in writing both to the district board of administration and the local church (cf. 4700-4720).
- (2) To consider the proposal of a local church, on behalf of the church or a subsidiary of the church (655:13) for the:
- (a) Purchase of land;
- (b) Purchase of land and buildings;
- (c) Construction of a new building;
- (d) Addition to or remodeling of a building when the consequent costs are anticipated to be ten percent or more of the value of the current building.
- (3) To advise the local church in detail concerning the architectural plans; to consider carefully the financial liability and the plans of the local church for meeting such liabilities; and to report its findings and recommendations in writing to the local church and the district board of administration (1233:33; cf. 4700-4720).