2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 1413-1423
B. District Board of Evangelism and Church Growth
1413. Function. The district board of administration shall serve as or shall establish a district board of evangelism and church growth to aid the district superintendent and the district board of administration in developing, supervising, and promoting an aggressive program of district evangelism and church growth (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1233:21; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1310:2).
1416. Membership. If a separate district board of evangelism and church growth is established, it shall have as its chair the district superintendent (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1310:2), unless the district superintendent shall appoint another to serve instead, with such appointment subject to ratification by the district board of administration. In addition to the chair, the board shall consist of two or more ordained ministers and an equal number of lay members elected by the district board of administration who are especially concerned and qualified for this phase of the church’s mission. In addition, the district director of evangelism and church growth shall serve as an ex officio member (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1426). The term of office for the elected members shall be for two years, with the election so arranged that approximately one-half shall be elected each year. Other than the chair, the board shall elect its own officers. General regulations governing the members of this board are set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1275-1292.
1420. Sessions. The district board of evangelism and church growth shall meet soon after the close of the district conference to make plans for the year and shall meet for regular sessions as it shall decide or the district board of administration shall order. Special sessions may be called by the chair as needed.
1423. Duties. The duties of the district board of evangelism and church growth shall be:
- (1) To study potential fields for district extension work and report on and make recommendations to the district board of administration concerning the same.
- (2) To stimulate interest in district evangelism and church growth throughout the district to help raise the funds needed for the district church growth program.
- (3) To make recommendations to the district board of administration concerning the establishment of a mission, developing church or church, the appointment of pastors for the same, and real estate transactions and building projects connected with church growth projects (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1233:30, 33).
- (4) To assume direct supervision of the district church growth program or a specific church growth project to the extent delegated by the district board of administration.
- (5) To perform other duties as may be required by the district board of administration in the interest of district evangelism and church growth.