2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 315
From Wesleyan Discipline
315. Pastoral Charges. The members of the denomination shall be grouped into local churches, one or more of which shall constitute a pastoral charge. The following are the constitutional rights of each pastoral charge:
- (1) To receive and expel or discontinue members subject to the provisions of The Discipline. This right vests severally in each local church. (Cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:365.)
- (2) To call its own pastor, subject to confirmation by the district conference.
- (3) To grant or revoke local licenses for various ministries as provided in The Discipline. This right may be delegated to the church board. (Cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:365.)
- (4) To recommend persons for various ministries to the district conference. This right may be delegated to the church board.
- (5) To elect its own officers and to remove the same for cause. Except as provided in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:365, no pastor or other official has any right to appoint an officer or declare an office vacant. This right belongs to the church alone, and vests severally in each local church.
- (6) To elect trustees and through such trustees to supervise, control, and maintain its property for the use and benefit of the ministry and members of The Wesleyan Church and subject to its regulations and appointments as from time to time legislated and declared. This right vests severally in each local church.
- (7) To be represented in the voting membership of its district conference, if not under discipline.
- (8) To have recourse to a proper court of jurisdiction in any matters of controversy between itself and other local, or district, or general units or agencies of the denomination. This right vests severally in each local church.